Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Post Turkey Day Tuesday

I'm getting ready to make the shopping trip for the T-day meal. It's a foggy, gray day however this morning was really nice. Bailey and I walked to Alterra Tosa for a cup of Turkey Trot. That coffee is so strong that it makes my heart beat outside of my chest! I should know better not to drink it, but I can't help myself. The new Alterra Tosa makes me laugh - it is a great coffee cafe, but so much different than there other locations because people in Tosa have kids! And they bring them in...and they make noise. There is already a ban on strollers - they have to park outside. It's really sweet until the screaming begins. Oh well, life in the suburbs...

Yesterday was my Mother in Law's birthday. She's in town to visit the new grandbaby as well as celebrate Thanksgiving with the family. I took her to Brew City Tea yesterday afternoon. Very nice little place in the Third Ward. She had a Blue Mango Tea and Caramel Apple Cheesecake and I opted for a Nine Blend, Black Dragon Tea and a Cucumber/Tomato Sandwich. Everything was really good and it was a nice relaxing place to enjoy a cup of tea and some conversation. Much different atmosphere than our dinner choice - we took her to Buca's for some good family style Italian food. I love the chopped Di Beppo 1893 salad and the Chicken Marsala. A little disappointed in the Tiramisu this time, (ladyfinger layer seemed more like a dry pancake) but I am sure they will rebound... Nice touch on the birthday celebration with the candelabra at the table. Buca's is always a fun place.

After dinner, Mike and I stopped for a couple of beers at Karma Bar & Grill - very cool place. This was once the location of Milwaukee's oldest restaurant, John Ernst. I was so angry when they sold the restaurant and the new developers turned it into three restaurants, of which two are chain somewhat fast food - I think there is a Chipotle and a Panera. Unbelieveable that they would ruin the architectural integrity and all the history of the once very popular German restaurant. It could have been an awesome "oompah" beer hall that I believe would have been really popular. So anyhow Karma takes the place of the original main room of the restaurant. They managed to save the fireplace and the wood beams and have incorporated them into a new funky design. Karma is nice - very comfortable, great bar, lots of TVs and the lounge in the lower level is awesome. I can't wait to have a reason to use that lounge for a private party of some sort.

So now I am off to shop....the bird is already thawing in the fridge.

4 comments:

Brew City Tea House said...

Thank you so much for the complimentary words about Brew City Tea, along with the link! I enjoyed you and your mother in laws company. What a wonderful woman!

Jean Vitrano
Brew City Tea

Diane Rustand said...

Brew City Tea Shop is a wonderful place to go to unwind and catch your breath. Jean has created a tranquil atmosphere in the midst of 80 different loose leaf teas from different countries. The menu includes everything from tea sandwiches to wraps and panninis. You not only get a cup of tea, but for the price, you receive the entire pot. Try Brew City Tea Shop the next time you are on Jefferson St near Menomonee. See you there!

Stephanie Thiel said...

Brew City Tea is a great place for morning or afternoon tea in the Third Ward. Jean, the owner, is soon going to be having some amazing scones that everyone should try! Stop in for one or two:)

Jeanine Dent said...

Brew City Tea is the place to go for a great pot of tea from Jean's 80 different varieties from around the world. Enjoy your tea by yourself to collct your thoughts or share with friends for a special afternoon delight. You won't be disappointed!

Jeanine Dent
The Networking Community